Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Lessons from a 14-year-old kid


My two favorite blogs might be 'Fixyourthinking' and 'The Small Wave,' but they are not the only blogs that I read, from time-to-time. One other blog that I read very frequently, through links from Macsurfer.com, is the excellent blackfriarsinc. blog. Since I was rather disappointed with todays O2 announcement, I will concentrate on todays excellent posting from Blackfriars, on the lessons the author learned from his 14-year-old son's hard work to earn the money to buy his very own refurbished iPhone.

The author states in his piece, "Lessons from my son's iPhone,' "My 14-year-old son has saved his allowances and earned money all summer to purchase an iPhone. And after the early Christmas present that Steve Jobs delivered on September 8 -- the $200 iPhone price cut -- he finally scrounged enough money to actually buy an 8 Gigabyte refurbished version for $349 from the Apple Store. And last night his long-awaited purchase arrived, as can be seen below."

Wow, and to think that Steve Ballmer laughed at the iPhone and said it was too expensive, or in other words, he implied: 'No one will ever buy it! Hah, no one will buy it my foot! You know that you have a winner on your hands when a kid will work his butt off to buy something, and in this case, it just happens to be the iPhone. (Smart kid!)

The author of Blackfriars goes on to point out, "Once our plan was right, the iPhone experience was flawless. ......... Robert fired up iTunes and activated his phone. Within five minutes, he had a phone number and a working phone on our family plan. The contrast with the AT&T store experience was like night and day; it was just click, click, click, and go."

Wow, what can I say about that? Well, for starters.... this is amazing, absolutely amazing! To think that a 14-year-old boy could do what he did with his iPhone is truly amazing in light of what most people have to go through with their cell phones. Oh, the agony I personally experienced setting up my old Motorola and now this. It rather makes me feel, in retrospect, down right jealous and cheated with my old carrier. That experience was painful and downright awful, so I won't dwell on it any further than needed.

Oh, how I hope Mr. Steve Ballmer, up in his Redmond ivory tower, somehow gets to see this interesting Blackfriar piece, and for that matter, all the other Apple and iPhone bashers, especially the iPhone's competitors. Maybe they will learn some valuable lessons from the iPhone that could benefit their customers?

The conclusion of the Blackfriar's posting couldn't be summed up in words any better:

"I already have some takeaways from the transaction.

Even with my recent vintage Nokia mobile, I'm jealous of my son's phone experience. As I have written on the specs on my Nokia E61i far surpass those of the iPhone; it has 3G data, WiFi, video recording, zoom camera, installable software, and countless other whizzy features. Yet, I'd trade my phone for even a 4 Gig iPhone in a heartbeat. Why? Because I've spent nearly two months configuring my phone to do about half as much as my son could do within minutes of unboxing his phone. The experience of using my Nokia compared to the iPhone is comparable to using PC DOS compared to Mac OS X. The former is painfully functional but never helpful, while the latter is delightful and simple."

Wow again! "Yet, I'd trade my phone for even a 4 Gig iPhone in a heartbeat." Yep, I couldn't say it any better.

And thats my 2 cents 4 this glorious, and I mean absolutely, glorious bright and sunny Tuesday, September 18, 2007.

BlackFriars Blog:

http://www.blackfriarsinc.com/blog/2007/09/lessons-from-my-son-iphone

No comments: