Monday, January 14, 2008

FINALLY: A Canadian iPhone at MacWorld?


We heard it before, and could possibly hear it yet again, but according to RBC Capital Markets analyst Mike Abramsky, in a Financial Post article, the iPhone will most likely be announced tomorrow for sale here legally in Canada. If so, all I can say is, "Finally - its about time!"

It seems as if we Canadians have been waiting for ever for the much sought after gadget. I personally, will however, wait until the iPhone 2 comes out later this year. However, a 16 gigabyte version will be, most likely, announced tomorrow which might just tempt me if the iPhone indeed is announced at MacWorld, but that remains to be seen.

One woman I met a few days ago, who, at the time, was getting ready to sign a contract for a Motorola phone, told me that she would cancel it on the spot if she thought that she could get her hands on an iPhone soon. She will be disappointed if Steve does announce the availability of the Canadian version tomorrow, but she did prove to me just how popular the iPhone is here, and not to mention the look on the phone salesman face, which said it all!

Mr. Abramsky in the report also stated that sales of Macintosh computers where, in his words - “ginormous.” Store checks and data from 4,600 respondents suggest 2.5 million Macs could be sold for the last quarter. This would be, if true, the third quarter of historical high sales of the sexy machines. Wow.... 2.5 million Macs sold in the past quarter would surely do wonders for Apple's stock price and capilization which has taken, along with other stocks, a beating lately due to fears over the economy and a real prospect of a recession.

As much as I hope Mr. Abramsky is correct about the iPhone finally appearing in Canada, I will still hold my judgement as I have been disappointed time and time again with such predictions. For one thing, data rates in Canada, as compared elsewhere in the world, are extremely sky-high so even if the iPhone availability is announced tomorrow, the actual cost of using the web and other data services might make it too expensive to to do so? Let's hope that is not the case.

Whether or not the Canadian availability is announced tomorrow, one thing is for sure.... lots of other goodies will be announced! I'm keeping my fingers, legs, arms and eyes crossed in hopes for an iMac/Ultra-Portable laptop combination device. This would be perfect for me, and of course, many, many other fine folks out there.

We just have to wait till tomorrow.

And thats my 2 cents on another Canadian iPhone rumor 4 this snowy Monday, January 14, 2007.

.

No comments: