Tuesday, June 30, 2009

My "Dumb Ass Award-4-the-Week" Goes To?


Today, I am instituting a new feature for you, my dear two or three readers. I call it: "The Dumb Ass Award-4-the-Week." Yes, I know that's rather a dumb ass title, but the title reflects exactly how I feel about some of the dumb ass moves made by some people out there.


Of course, we all make dumb ass moves, from time to time, and that especially goes for little old dumb ass me, since I'm personally responsible for making about half of all the dumb ass moves committed in the world today. However, I will limited my 'Dumb Ass Award-4-the-Week' to the other half of the world to avoid any one claiming that I used any unfair advantages to award myself the award, even though I must admit, I am probably the most deserving.


So, exactly who is my very first recipient for this most prestigious award, and my reason for giving it?


Well, first let me say that my first award goes to a company that is anything but dumb, and is a company that just happens to be run by some of the smartest folks out there anywhere, but, who, from time to time, have also been known for doing some pretty dumb ass things none-the-less.


So, tah-tah-tah...... my very first Dumb Ass-Award-4-the- Week goes to:


Apple and it's App Store.


Yes, this powerhouse of all things cool - Apple!


The reason is plain and simple:


Their dumb ass App Store app rejection policy!


Of course, I admit that Apple has a legitimate right to reject apps, and, in some cases, even a duty to do so. These would include rejecting any or all apps that promote hatred based on religion, race, nationality, or sexual preferences, etc. Sometimes, however, Apple's rejection policies are just plain dumb ass and leave me scratching my head and wondering why they would reject certain apps, including certain apps that could potentially really help advance the overall appeal of the iPhone / iPod Touch ecosystem.


Apple gets my first award for it's recent rejection of just such an app, the very cool C64 emulation app that could have opened up the Commodore's vast gaming library to iPhone and Touch users everywhere. Opening up the gaming library of the biggest selling computer of all time, believe me, would have thus increased one of the App Stores biggest selling features - gaming! Despite the big role that games have had in the over success of the App Store, for some reason - some strange dumb ass reason, Apple in their 'Infinite Loop' reasoning have decided to reject this amazing app!


As you can see, in the beginning YouTube video, this cool Commodore 64 app runs very well and would have been a big hit with users and I bet yah, I just bet yah, that Palm's new Pre would have killed to get their hands on something like this, so why in hell and for what dumb ass reason Apple would ever reject this amazing app in the first place is totally beyond me.


iPhoneFreak, a few days ago, reported that Apple gave the following dumb ass reason:


"Thank you for submitting C64 to the App Store. We've reviewed C64 1.0 and determined that we cannot post this version of your iPhone application to the App Store because it violates the SDK Agreement, "3.3.2 An Application may not itself install or launch other executable code by any means, including without limitation through the use of a plug-in architecture, calling other frameworks, other API's or otherwise. No Interpreted code may be downloaded and used in Application except for the code that is interpreted and run by Apple's Published API's and built-in interpreter(s)."


Well, I, for one, interpret that as one dumb ass move on the part of Apple! Come on, are you telling me that there is no flexibility within Apple's SDK, no room for compromise that could allow this amazing piece of code to see the light of day? Hopefully no, but apparently yes, according to Apple. How dumb do the come anyway?


Of course, then again, I suppose that there are some out there who might think that the developers of C64 should get the 'Dumb Ass Award" for first not being smart enough to check with Apple's SDK before they spent all their time, hard earned money and effort to license Commodore's code and create the app in the first place. Personally, however, I think that the fault lies entirely with Apple's much too inflexible app acceptance policy. It's too black and white, it should focus more on the needs and wants of it's customers rather than it's own fuzzy guide lines. After all, if the programmers went to all the time and trouble to legally license the code for C64, then I can see no reason, technically or legally, why this killer app should not be in the App Store, but then again, I'm no lawyer.


Of course, this certainly isn't the first app that Apple has ever rejected and like some of the other rejected apps, I can only hope that Apple will get off their dumb ass and reconsider C64 and allow it to be placed into the hands of eager iPhone/Touch users everywhere where it rightfully belongs. Flak over some of Apple's previous rejections has resulted in such reconsideration's, and, again, I can only hope this will be the case too with the C64.


Besides making some dumb ass moves in the past, Apple has also made a lot of smart ass moves as well, but this clearly isn't one of them, therefore I'm really not too pleased to present my very first, "Dumb Ass-Award-4-the Week" to Apple and their dumb ass App Store app acceptance and rejection policy. I am hoping, in the meantime, that they get off their dumb ass and reconsider this amazingly cool app, C64, before the developers decide to kick Apple's ass by porting it over to the Pre or to somebody's else device?


Are you listening Apple?




And that's my 2 cents 4 this Tuesday, June 30, 2009


2 comments:

dan said...

Dumb ass awards! hmmmmmm... good idea, there are tones of people who I can think of who deserve that award but most are politicians so I will keep quiet for now.

I am a lover of children's literature said...

Thanks dan for your comment. Yes, certainly there are lots of politicians who would qualify for such an award. Personally, as human beings we all fail from time to time - at least I know I sure do.

Apple is a fantastic company, but they certainly have made some dumb ass moves, but so has just about every other big or small company. Microsoft... don't get me started!

One thing I do hope for, is that they do reconsider the C64 app. I never liked that particular computer, but a lot of people have grown up on it and having the opportunity to play many, if not all, of their old games would be a blast, I'm sure.