Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Snow Leopard Beats Windows 7, Topping the Charts!


Just yesterday, PCAdvisor reported that OS X Leopard, which won't be on the market until next month, just shot to the top of Amazon's best sellers list.


Snow Leopard, with it's amazingly low upgrade price of $29, took the number one spot, while it's family pack of five followed close behind at number two!


This is just a thought, but I find it absolutely amazing that with only 10% share of the U.S. market, and about 4% of the world's total, that Apple's latest incarnation would have... could have, completely knocked Microsoft's highly praised Windows 7 from off the chart! This is especially true when you remember that Windows just happens to account for a whopping 90% of the world's market share!


I don't know about you, but I find that a remarkable scenario and a possible good indicator and tell sign of just how well OS X might sell in the future. In that scenario, Snow Leopard is looking good, rather good indeed!


Microsoft loves to tout it's big numbers. It loves to tout just how big it is, while at the same time, sneering at just how pathetically low both the Mac and Linux share are in comparison. They seem to be implying that it's huge lead in share is directly because Windows is so much of a better OS.


Well, that might make for good comedy, but it hardly makes for the truth!


Microsoft may love bragging that it's number one in the numbers game, but something tells me that they won't be bragging too much about these particular Amazon numbers. After all, Amazon.com is hardly what you would call a mom-n-pop operation. No, it just happens to be one of the world's largest selling machines in history, if not the biggest in all of history. I even remember reading somewhere that Amazon now accounts for as much as 20% of all sales in the U.S.! Wow - that's one out of every five dollars - now that really is a big deal, and the implications for OS X Snow Leopard is also just as big.


In other words: This deal about OS X Snow Leopard booting the highly anticipated Windows 7 from off the number one Amazon charts is really a big deal, if ever there was a one, and it bodes particularly well for the future of OS X in the market place!


I certainly don't hate Microsoft and I'm really looking forward to buying a personal copy of Windows 7, but I also, at the same time, I must admit that I personally find its a little satisfying to see my favorite OS kicking some serious ass, and especially one that loves to brag to the high-heavens about it's big numbers.



Way to go Apple!



And that's my 2 cents 4 this Wednesday, August 05, 2009

2 comments:

dan said...

dam! got to love mac!

I am a lover of children's literature said...

Thanks Dan, yes I love Mac's too, but I sure wish I could just afford to love a Mac Pro - but damn, I'm a poor boy!