Window Phone 7 has just pass a milestone, namely its version of the App Store now has a whopping 45,000 apps!
This info comes from a site known as All About Windows Phone, who accordingly point out:
With almost 6,000 of those applications being inactive, I guess the real numbers would be more along the lines of 37,000 applications, which is still, of course, a lot of apps, but compared with Apple's App Store it's peanuts, as it is now being reported that it has achieved yet another milestone... an even more whopping 500,000 apps!
148Apps reported that not only has the 500,000 app threshold been passed, but PadGadget further points out that:
- Upon the iTunes App Store launch on July 10, 2008, there were 500 total apps
- 500,000 apps were developed by 85,569 unique developers
- 37% of apps are available for free
- The average price for paid apps is $3.64
- Games represent 15% of the available apps, books are second most popular at 14% –a balance of power that continues to shift back and forth from month to month.
- You would need 7.5 TB of storage to hold all of the apps from the App Store
- It would cost you $891,982.24 to purchase all of the apps from the App Store
- There has been over 10 billion total app downloads
- The app to spend the most time in the #1 popularity spot is Angry Birds, for 275 days
Well, in conclusion, it's apparently a great time, a very great time indeed to be a smart phone developer these days. With over a half-a-million apps for iOS, and almost 50,000 for Windows Phone 7, and over some 350,000 for Android, maybe, just maybe I'm in the wrong business?
And that's my 2 cents 4 this gloriously sunny and warm Tuesday, December 13, 2011